Thursday, February 15, 2018

Review: The House Mate

Title: The House Mate 
Series: Roommates #3 
Author: Kendall Ryan 
Genre: Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Self-Published 
Publication Date: April 18, 2017
Source: Bought

What’s sexier than a bad boy? A bad ass man who’s got his shit together.
Max Alexander is nearing thirty-five. He’s built a successful company, and he’s conquered the professional world, but he’s never been lucky in love. Focusing so much time on his business and raising his daughter, adulting has come at the expense of his personal life.
His social skills are shit, his patience is shot, and at times, his temper runs hot.
The last thing he has time for is the recently single, too gorgeous for her own good young woman he hires to take care of his little girl. She’s a distraction he doesn’t need, and besides, there’s no way she’d be interested. But you know what they say about assumptions?
This is book 3 in the Roommates series, but each can be read as a complete standalone, as they feature new couples.

Find The House Mate online!
I'm just so . . . meh about this book.  While it wasn't bad, it just felt like it was a compilation of every other romance book I've ever read.  Nothing felt new or fresh, all of it was just pretty standard for the genre and I could guess everything that was gonna happen.  While I'm not against books that follow traditional plot lines and story arcs, I found that I was fairly bored throughout this one.  I can't say it wasn't well-written but my attention to it lagged throughout.  

 I'm a tentative fan of the single dad trope and tend to have fun when reading books like this!  The single dad in this novel, Max, was an okay guy but he felt very . . . one dimensional -- like a cardboard cut out of every other guy like him in novels that fall into this genre.  He was well written and he made me smile while reading at times, he just wasn't super rememberable.  The same is true for the heroine, Addison.  She was a well-written character but lacked the spark that made her stand out for me.  They had some chemistry but nothing mind blowing.  I did like the somewhat slow-burn of their relationship and that they were establishing a friendship before getting together romantically.  

Honestly, I don't have a whole lot more to say about this book.  It was pretty standard for the genre.  There was some unnecessary drama and angst which I wasn't a huge fan of but, for the most part, it was well-written and a decent read.  If you're looking for a quick and easy romance, this one would probably work out for you!  


"It was the most domestic evening of my life, and I was happier that a pig in shit." 

Three Teapots

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns